Tuesday, November 3, 2015

11/3/15

I'm pooped! Sunday morning Alysha called me with desperation and tears in her voice, "Mom there has been an ambulance call out for a 66 year old man, possible heart attack at Exit 106. Mom, I think it's Dad!" I am so disgusted with this laptop erasing what I have written that this will be a much shorter version of the last couple of days than was just erased. Scott had gone up on the mountain with Chris, Cade and Jake to find and bring down the elk Cade shot the night before. Scott and Cade found the elk and Scott was gutting it when he started to get weaker and weaker and finally sat of the ground. He lost consciousness. They gave him a blessing, carried him down the mountain the ranger, seat belted him in as he laid with his head on Jake's lap. Meanwhile they had called Nate to come and help them. He called the ambulance when he arrived and could see that Scott needed more help than they could give him. Meanwhile Alysha and I had driven over, just sick, as you can imagine. Austin came down the mountain with the ambulance and stopped for me to get in. Scott still pretty much unresponsive. He was covered in blood from gutting the elk and stunk to high heaven (that's really a lot). About an hour after we got to the ER he started coming around. Testing revealed that he had not had a heart attack and everything else was good. He had been fasting since the day before and is hypoglycemic. When they got his heart beat it was 43. It would go up to 83 then fall back down. They wanted to keep him for observation for 24 hours so they could see what was happening. By then he was back to being himself - giving everyone a hard time! Me with my 1/2 long white frizzy hair, big dark circles under my eyes, and ghost face of no eyebrows or lashes never crossed my mind until I noticed people looking at me. Thanks to Callie and Gracie sending down my wig! What on earth would we ever do without family or faith? I felt comforted throughout the whole the experience with Scott. I'm so grateful for our EMT family members who knew just what to do. What a blessing to be surrounded by a loving family! So Scott spent the night in the hospital and I spent the night at home waking up every hour in a panic realizing to a very slight degree what my family and friends whose spouses had passed on must feel. Scott was released before noon on Monday. They felt the problem was his heart rate going high then dropping very low. Something that can be easily fixed by a pacemaker. After the bull sale next week they will do more testing. Megan didn't think he needed any more stress right now. He had just gotten home from the hospital when we had to go back to see Dr. Hansen. Alysha went with us - which was a very good thing considering I couldn't see and who knows what shape Scott was in!! Dr. Hansen just told us he was most concerned with two of the lymph nodes that a certain measurement of cancer was clumped together in. He had previously hoped that it was a Stage 3 cancer instead of a 4. But it isn't. He made appointments for me for a PET scan and an Echocardiogram and wanted me to begin radiation as soon as possible. He doesn't want to do more chemo but that depends on where the cancer has traveled. He does want me to begin the hormone blocker medication. We wlll just have to see what the results of that test are. On the lighter side of things, Alysha had drawn on some eyebrows and eyeliner for me. She thought that was a bit strange but when we went to the breast store it was a whole new level of strange for her and me. For me the strangest thing was having this woman standing in front of me putting different sizes of breast things in the pockets of the bra I had on and adjusting them so they looked even. Trying to decide if I really wanted a 7 - after all they do go up to a 14! mm

1 comment:

  1. Oh Kathy how much we love you and Scott... What examples of faith and obedience you have shown us all... I'm so glad to hear he's home and ok... I love your hair and your beautiful...you radiate beauty...


    ReplyDelete