Saturday, September 26, 2015

9/26/15

On a middle of the night trip, the only one thank goodness, to work at the cannery in Ogden Camille Wilde showed up with rollers in her hair and a list of the top 10 reasons we should be doing the midnight to four am shift. By the time we got to the cannery we were laughing so hard we could barely get out of the car! I know they thought we were a bunch of crazy old women but it was the most fun I've had at the cannery! It was shortly after that trip that I was back there again stacking and checking the cans that were coming off the lid sealer conveyor contraption where the cans went around on about three levels before dropping off to my job. The manager carefully explained how to inspect and stack the cans on the conveyor belt in front of me. He said, "Do you see this red button? That's for when there is a problem with the cans." So I was doing a great job until some of the cans came through that weren't labeled right. I tried to ask the people around me if I should push the button. The two workers across from me said I probably should. Meanwhile cans are coming around on the conveyer and dropping before I could put them where they should be. So I reached over and pushed the red button. In horror I watched as the cans on the lid conveyor belt were smashing into each other forcing the contents to spew out all over the place. I don't know which was more shocking - the food spraying all over, the deafening blasting of the alarm, or the red-faced manager who came running out of his office screaming "Who is responsible for this?" I didn't see any of those people who told me I should push the button. They had just vanished! I told him that I was the one who pushed the button. He must have yelled at me for a good/bad five minutes. Was I ever feeling like the idiot he said I was! They had to shut down the whole assembly line. And to think it looked like such a simple job! You guessed it - I didn't go back for some time for fear they would recognize me and kick me out. Today has been an aching day. Following Camille's example, I figured there must be ten top reasons to have a modified radical mastectomy: (If you are a male you might want to stop reading here) Could only come up with eight appropriate reasons. 1. Makes you appreciate a normal, less painful mastectomy on the other side 2. No more irritating bouncing 3. No more cleavage that you have to try to cover 4. No more built in shelf that catches anything you spill 5. No more worries about breast size - now I can change that at will 6. No more worrying about getting breast cancer-I already have it 7. No more painful, embarrassing mammograms which didn't pick up the cancer anyway 8. No more panicking about things that don't really matter

3 comments:

  1. 8. People actually looking at your face while talking to you .... 9. No more safety pins closing the gaps between buttons on a blouse ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am up late with the prep for a colonoscopy tomorrow and it made me think of you and all the others I know that are dealing with daily medical issues, so I decided to check in on your blog. Oh how fun to read about Camille and her funny sense of humor, I really miss her! I hope your surgery went well today! I will continue to pray for you as you fight this battle. Love you 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The two question marks were supposed to be a smiley face....I don't know why it didn't show up.

      Delete